Thursday 23 May 2013

How this writer’s mind works


A movement caught my eye. Something fairly large and light brown had fluttered over the field opposite my house and disappeared into the ditch on the far side.

A hare! I thought, followed (almost) immediately by, Don’t be daft, hares can’t fly!

Common sense told me the half-glimpsed creature had probably been a pheasant or duck, but the picture it planted in my mind insisted on growing bigger, brighter and more detailed. Of course there’s no such thing as a flying hare - I know that - but that’s not going to stop me writing a story about one!

Another senior moment, or a flash of creative genius? You decide.

5 comments:

Suzanne Furness said...

Ideas strike at any time! A flying hare should make a great story.

Linda D said...

Thanks Suzanne, as you're a writer too I'm sure you understand perfectly, but I think my non-writing friends just think I'm a bit odd!

Friko said...

creative juices flowing, no question.

Henry Mitchell said...

If it weren't for senor moments, I'd be out of time by now.

Linda D said...

And they do make life more interesting.
Thanks for dropping by, Henry.